How to Donate Real Estate
By making a gift of real estate, the donation provides you with tax-benefits while making an impact on the lives of local families in need of safe, affordable housing.
- Outright Gift: Donor transfers the property for retention and use by Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity or for immediate liquidation with proceeds benefiting our mission.
- Bargain Sale: Donor sells the property to Milwaukee Habitat for less than its appraised fair market value and receives a charitable deduction for the difference between the value of the property and the sale price.
- Bequest: Donor bequeaths the property to Milwaukee Habitat in his or her will or revocable (living) trust. If a gift of real estate is encumbered by a mortgage or lien, Milwaukee Habitat will request the donor pay off the debt prior to making the donation.
We are also looking for donated houses to rehab in the Midtown neighborhood of Milwaukee (boundaries: 20th St. to 30th St. and North Ave. to Lisbon Ave.). In most instances, we can assist with the transaction at no cost to the donor.
We do not accept donations of vacant lots outside of the Midtown neighborhood.
Please consult your financial adviser to determine whether this is a good choice for you.
If you are interested in donating property to Milwaukee Habitat, please fill out this form.
- Your charitable gift is tax deductible, usually at the current market value. Tax law may allow you to carry over the deduction for up to five years if needed.
- You eliminate capital gains tax on the property's appreciation.
- The transfer isn't subject to the gift tax, and the gift reduces your future taxable estate.
- Avoid the hassle of selling or maintaining your home.
- Your gift will help build safe, affordable homes in our community.
- All back taxes are paid.
- No past due utility bills.
- Property is owned free and clear with no mortgage liens.
- House must be in a habitable condition.
How to Donate Stocks, Mutual Funds or Other Assets
Donating stock that you have owned for more than one year may entitle you to a charitable tax deduction for the full market value at the time of donation. If the stock has appreciated, you may also avoid a capital gains tax on the appreciation. Since 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations are not taxed when they sell stock, Milwaukee Habitat will receive the entire benefit of your gift.
- Milwaukee Habitat needs to know the name of the stock, the number of shares, your name and address, and the designation of your gift so that we can credit it properly.
- To make a donation of stock to Habitat for Humanity, please arrange with your broker to transfer shares to:
Robert W. Baird & Company, Inc.
DTC Code: 0547
Broker of record for the account: Scott M. Sullivan
- Our normal procedure is to credit the donor with the median value of the stock on the day the shares go into our account.
Please consult your financial adviser to determine whether this is a good choice for you. For more information abour gifts of stock, contact Patti Oliver, Development Officer, at 414-316-5611 / firstname.lastname@example.org