How to Donate Real Estate
By making a gift of real estate, the donation provides you with tax-benefits while making an impact on the lives of local families in need of safe, affordable housing.
- Outright Gift: Donor transfers the property for retention and use by Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity or for immediate liquidation with proceeds benefiting our mission.
- Bargain Sale: Donor sells the property to Milwaukee Habitat for less than its appraised fair market value and receives a charitable deduction for the difference between the value of the property and the sale price.
- Bequest: Donor bequeaths the property to Milwaukee Habitat in his or her will or revocable (living) trust. If a gift of real estate is encumbered by a mortgage or lien, Milwaukee Habitat will request the donor pay off the debt prior to making the donation.
We are also looking for donated houses to rehab in the Midtown neighborhood of Milwaukee (boundaries: 20th St. to 30th St. and North Ave. to Lisbon Ave.). In most instances, we can assist with the transaction at no cost to the donor.
We do not accept donations of vacant lots outside of the Midtown neighborhood.
Please consult your financial adviser to determine whether this is a good choice for you.
If you are interested in donating property to Milwaukee Habitat, please fill out this form.
- Your charitable gift is tax deductible, usually at the current market value. Tax law may allow you to carry over the deduction for up to five years if needed.
- You eliminate capital gains tax on the property's appreciation.
- The transfer isn't subject to the gift tax, and the gift reduces your future taxable estate.
- Avoid the hassle of selling or maintaining your home.
- Your gift will help build safe, affordable homes in our community.
- All back taxes are paid.
- No past due utility bills.
- Property is owned free and clear with no mortgage liens.
- House must be in a habitable condition.