What will AmeriCorps members do in Milwaukee for the 2018-2019 year?
6 Construction AmeriCorps members will perform direct service, help utilize volunteers effectively, provide support on the work site to homeowners, and engage in our neighborhood revitalization efforts. The start date for 4 members will be late August and the commitment is through mid-July and 2 members will begin in early January and serve through late November.
2 Volunteer Services AmeriCorps members One member will recruit and engage individual volunteers for construction and non-construction opportunities with a focus on individual volunteers(National Direct) The start date will be late August and the commitment is through mid-July. One member will recruit volunteers for our 3 ReStores and assist with onboarding of new volunteers (VISTA) The start date will be early to mid-summer and the commitment is for one year.
1 Family Services AmeriCorps member will focus on recruiting families for homeownership and home repair projects as well as supporting them doing their sweat equity. (National Direct) The start date will be late August and the commitment is through mid-July.
Benefits of the AmeriCorps program
- Please note that the AmeriCorps VISTA positions have different benefits and so those who are interested in the Volunteer Services VISTA position can visit http://www.habitatwisconsin.org/content/about-vista-0 for more information.
- The AmeriCorps National Direct living allowance is $13,732 paid over 46.5 weeks (term of service.)
- Education award of $5,920. The education awards are paid as vouchers by the National Service Trust, and may be redeemed within seven years to pay for current education costs at qualified colleges, universities, other post-secondary institutions and approved school-to-work programs, or to pay back qualified student loans already incurred.
What is the selection process like?
- If you’d like to receive a complete position description for a position please reach out to Beth Van Gorp at email@example.com.
- Apply for a position (please see below.) We strongly recommend explaining why you are interested in doing a year of service with Milwaukee Habitat in your cover letter and also explain why you are interested in a particular position.
- After reviewing the application materials we reach out to candidates we think might be a good fit to set up an interview.
- Interviews will be in person for those living in the Milwaukee area, and by phone or Skype for those outside of the area. Final acceptance into the program is subject to a background check and official offer protocols with Habitat for Humanity International.
- Positions are offered on a rolling basis so applying early is beneficial.
How do I apply?
We are now accepting applications for the 2018-2019 service year! Interviews will begin in March of 2018 and members will be selected on a rolling basis.
Interviews will be in person for those living in the Milwaukee area, and by phone or Skype for those outside of the area. Final acceptance into the program is subject to a background check and official offer protocols with Habitat for Humanity International.
For consideration by Milwaukee Habitat there are several options:
Recommended option: Apply directly to Milwaukee Habitat by sending a cover letter and resume to Beth Van Gorp at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify the position for which you are applying in your cover letter.
For the National Direct positions apply through Habitat for Humanity International’s AmeriCorps page. This is a good option if you want to apply at multiple Habitat affiliates.
Please contact Beth Van Gorp at email@example.com or 414-316-5615 if you have questions.