What is AmeriCorps?
AmeriCorps is a national service program that provides thousands of Americans of all ages and backgrounds with educational awards in exchange for a year or two of community service. AmeriCorps members help meet the nation’s critical needs in the areas of public safety, education, human needs, and the environment. It was created in 1993 with bi-partisan support by Congress, the President, and community groups nationwide. Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity utilizes AmeriCorps members through the AmeriCorps National Direct program.
What will AmeriCorps members do in Milwaukee for the 2017-2018 year?
5 Construction AmeriCorps members will perform direct service, help utilize volunteers effectively, provide support on the work site to homeowners, and engage in our neighborhood revitalization efforts. The start date will be late August and the commitment is through mid-July.
1 Volunteer Services AmeriCorps members will recruit and engage individual volunteers for construction and in neighborhood revitalization opportunities with a focus on youth and under-represented volunteer groups (National Direct) The start date will be late August and the commitment is through mid-July.
Benefits of the AmeriCorps program
- Skills for the future
- The AmeriCorps National Direct living allowance is $12,530 paid over 46.5 weeks (term of service.)
- Health insurance and workers compensation insurance (or equivalent)
- Child care reimbursement, if eligible
- Education award of $5,730. The education awards are paid as vouchers by the National Service Trust, and may be redeemed within seven years to pay for current education costs at qualified colleges, universities, other post-secondary institutions and approved school-to-work programs, or to pay back qualified student loans already incurred.
- Health benefits
- Forbearance of qualified student loans and payment of interest that accrues during the term of service. Go to the AmeriCorps website to see if your loan would qualify.
- Habitat Milwaukee also provides $150 per month as rental assistance (lease agreement required.)
- $1,000 worth of additional benefits to those who have already successfully completed a year of service with 1,700 hours as a Habitat for Humanity National Direct construction member
How do I apply?
We are now accepting applications for the 2017-2018 service year! Interviews will begin in March of 2017 and members will be selected on a rolling basis.
Interviews will be in person for those living in the Milwaukee area, and by phone or Skype for those outside of the area. Final acceptance into the program is subject to a background check and official offer protocols with Habitat for Humanity International.
For consideration by Habitat Milwaukee there are several options:
Recommended option: Apply directly to Milwaukee Habitat by sending a cover letter and resume to Beth Van Gorp at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify the position for which you are applying in your cover letter.
For the National Direct positions apply through Habitat for Humanity International’s AmeriCorps page. This is a good option if you want to apply at multiple Habitat affiliates.
Please contact Beth Van Gorp at email@example.com or 414-316-5615 if you have questions.