Volunteers are a vital part of our mission. We welcome individuals, corporations, community groups, faith congregations, and many more to join us in building safe, affordable homes in our community. No prior experience is necessary - we’ll show you what to do!
Due to high demand, construction opportunities for this summer are limited. However, volunteer opportunities are currently available at each of our three ReStores. Find out more!
Our most frequently asked questions:
What do construction volunteers do?
- Volunteers help build or repair homes alongside Habitat homeowners. Depending on the day and the season tasks can include framing, siding, drywall, painting, trim, punchlist, cleaning or landscaping.
Do I need to have construction experience?
- No experience is necessary! Volunteers will receive specific, day-of training by skilled staff, AmeriCorps or volunteers that allows all volunteers to learn new skills and participate.
When can I build?
- Construction opportunities are generally available Wednesday – Saturday, year round. We do build mostly inside in the winter and both inside and outside from March - November. The typical construction shift is from 8am-3pm and we do ask volunteers to stay the entire time.
Do I need to bring anything?
- Basic tools and safety equipment are provided by Habitat but you are welcome to bring your own tools and safety items. Volunteers should also bring a lunch and water bottle. Closed toed tennis shoes or boots are required.
Are there any restrictions on how old people can be to volunteer in construction?
- The minimum age for construction volunteers is 16 years old and some tasks are restricted to those 18 & over. Learn more about the ways youth can be involved by visiting our Hammer Free Volunteering Page.
- Please contact Beth Van Gorp, Volunteer Services Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 414-316-5615.
Next steps for new individual volunteers
- Create an account in our online volunteer system.
- At the end of the process of creating an account you can immediately sign up for an orientation. Construction orientations are done via conference call and are offered several times per month.
- After successful completion of the orientation and a background check (done prior to the orientation by Habitat) you can then sign up for volunteer opportunities.
- Every volunteer day makes a difference. Commit to one day or volunteer regularly!
- Those completing court ordered community service must complete those hours at one of the ReStores. For those completing hours for school or community organizations we also recommend the ReStores as there is more flexibility and availability in scheduling volunteer opportunities.
Next step for new construction groups
- To start the process group leaders fill out our group interest form.
- Group size is generally 8-12 people depending on the task. Bringing larger groups is a benefit of our sponsorship programs. However at times we may be able to accommodate larger groups depending on construction schedules.
- The construction schedule is set a couple of months in advance and released 4-6 times a year. If you’re interested in the current time block we’re scheduling, we can confirm a date immediately!
- If you are interested in volunteer opportunities later in the year, you’re automatically added to the email list to receive volunteer dates.
- Milwaukee Habitat schedules our house sponsors first and then is able to release the remaining dates on a first-come-first-serve basis to other groups. If all the days are filled in your preferred time frame we can add you to a wait list. Or if dates remain open you may be able to sign up for additional days or to bring additional volunteers. Depending on the season, weather, and building schedule we ask your patience while we set the schedule.
- After your workday is set, a confirmation email with details is sent including times, location, parking, what to bring, etc. Your group members will then individually sign up via our online system which includes signing our waiver.